Friday, March 27, 2015

Dividing Rhubarb Plants: How And When To Divide Rhubarb

By Amy Grant I’m not a pie girl, but an exception can be made for rhubarb strawberry pie. Actually, anything with rhubarb in it is easily coaxed into my mouth. Maybe because it reminds me of the good old days with my great grandmother who made the flakiest pie crust redolent with butter, filled with scarlet berries and rhubarb. Her stalks seemed to require very little care and came up reliably year after year, but realistically, I am sure dividing rhubarb plants was one of her garden chores. So the question is, how and when to divide rhubarb? Why is Rhubarb Plant Division Necessary? Rhubarb leaf stalks and petioles are used primarily in sweet treats and are, hence, regarded as a fruit. Actually, rhubarb is a vegetable, but due to its high acidity, lends itself nicely to pies, tarts, jams, and other sweets. Rhubarb is a perennial plant that does

No comments:

Post a Comment