Monday, March 23, 2015

Making A Spore Print: How To Harvest Mushroom Spores

By Amy Grant I love mushrooms, but I am certainly no mycologist. I generally purchase mine from the grocer or local farmers market so I am not familiar with spore collection techniques. I sure would love to be able to grow my own edible mushrooms, too, but the cost of commercial mushroom growing kits has kept me from the attempt. The following information on harvesting spores from mushrooms has got me pretty excited! Spore Collection Techniques The reproductive bodies of fungi, mushrooms’ purpose in life is to produce spores, or seeds. Each type of fungi has a different spore type and releases them in unique patterns dependent upon the form of the underside of the mushroom cap. Gill mushrooms are the easiest to harvest spores from, but with some experimentation, all types can be harvested. Intrigued? So how to harvest mushroom spores then? The most common method for harvesting spores

No comments:

Post a Comment