Thursday, April 30, 2015

Are Bell Pepper Lobes An Indicator Of Pepper Plant Gender And Seed Production?

By Nikki Phipps (Author of The Bulb-o-licious Garden) You’ve likely seen or heard the claim floating around social media that one can tell the gender of a bell pepper, or which has more seeds, by the number of lobes or bumps, along the bottom of the fruit. The idea of this sparked in me some curiosity, naturally, so I decided to find out for myself if this is true or not (since to my knowledge in the gardening field, I have never heard of any specific gender associated with these plants). Here’s what I found. Pepper Gender Myth It is believed that the number of bell pepper lobes has something to do with its sex (gender). Females supposedly have four lobes, are full of seeds and sweeter tasting while males have three lobes and are less sweet. So is this a true indicator of pepper plant gender? Fact: It is

No comments:

Post a Comment